Sunday, March 14, 2010

Who do we pay attention to and why?

The recent flood of news surrounding Glen Beck caused me to think: Who do we pay attention to, and why? I have listened to Glen Beck from time to time. Sometimes he has caused me to think about things I wouldn't have thought about. Usually, because our views differ, I don't listen too long. His recent venture into my area of expertise not only raised my ire, but my remarks raised the ire of friends who read and listen to Mr. Beck. Since my problem was his totally inaccurate perception/communication about a fundamental principle of Christianity, social and economic justice, I had to wonder: What makes Christian people listen to him more than Jesus and, in many cases, more loyal to him than Jesus? What makes Christian people more committed to paying attention to somebody like Glen Beck than to Jesus? Am I meddling? I guess I could be. Oh well.
God believes in the positive potential in every human being. God has given us the freedom to make choices, both good and bad, but hopes, beyond our ability to comprehend it, that we will make good choices that have a positive impact in the world.
People like Glen Beck and Rush Limbaugh have tremendous amounts of people listening to them. They may be trying to make a positive impact in the world, but it is always at the expense of someone else's integrity. What would happen if they decided to look at the positive potential that respected everyone's integrity. In other words, honestly, what if instead of looking at those who disagree with them as objects to ridicule, they looked at them as fellow human beings who may think differently, but deserve the same respect they want for themselves?
Some may be getting mad at me right now, don't sell me short, again. I know there are people on all sides of the "political" culture who do the same: they treat others as objects instead of people. I don't like that from anyone.
I don't believe it's "pie in the sky" idealism to believe that if we focus on the positive in people it will have a tremendous positive impact in the world. I believe people are people, children of God, and people of worth. When we assault those people we are acting as though they are objects of no value.
I make no apologies that I would rather listen to what God and those who strive to follow the path God is leading them down, than those who may say they are but whose words and actions run contrary to what God has said for us.
The old anti-drug commercials, in which I believe Nancy Reagan was the spokesperson, said, "This is your brain" showing an egg representing the potential of something yet to be born. Then an egg being fried in a pan with the words, "This is your brain on drugs." We can rejuvenate the campaign and say, "This is your life," and show an egg, a symbol of life. Then, show an egg being fried, and say, "This is your life with hatred and objectification." Of course, somebody will say, "Okay, I'll just eat the egg, then what will you do?" That's okay as long as it's not somebody else deciding that you are their egg!
From all that I am, may God's light shine on, in, and through you, and everyone you know, love, like, and even dislike.

1 comment: