Wednesday, March 24, 2010

A Blessing from a Scam

You may know that about a month ago I did something I knew I shouldn’t – I tried to get a “free iPad.” Nice FREE gifts are enticing and most of us will think, “What if it’s true?”
Yesterday, March 23, the best thing from this “momentary lapse of reason” came in the mail. No, it wasn’t an “iPad.” It was the latest issue of Rolling Stone magazine. “Wow.” You may be saying. “That’s a real treasure, Greg. You know you’ll have to pay something if want a real subscription to Rolling Stone, don’t you?” Yes, but this issue was heaven-sent. Some of you probably know or have figured it out, because you know me very well. Yes, it contains the first ever interview of Eric Clapton and Jeff Beck together! Wow!
I love listening to great passionate guitar music. Eric Clapton and Jeff Beck, in my opinion, are two, on a fairly short list, guitar players who have a genuine gift from God to create passionate musical art on the guitar. After reading the Rolling Stone interview I can say my reasons for feeling this way are communicated in the interview.
First of all, they are extremely gifted/talented/skilled at playing the guitar. The kinds of skills they possess come only from: God, recognizing the gift, practicing that gift as often as humanly possible, learning every day, and never feeling they’re the best ever at what they do.
We all have skills. Do we recognize them as a gift from God? Do we practice them every day, as often as humanly possible? Do we feel as though there’s something new to learn in our skills every day? Do we know that we are the best me, and someone else is the best them, and so on?
This leads to number two on my list about Eric Clapton and Jeff Beck: They are both pretty humble. In the interview, neither wanted to say they were better than the other, or others. Maybe it wasn’t always that way, but life has taught both of them the great lesson known as humility. It makes them better people and better guitar players. They both willingly admit they owe who they are and what they do to others and what they’ve learned from the others.
A friend of ours, Robin W., used to say, “He/she thinks they’re all that and bag of potato chips.” Robin was only 13-14 the first time we heard her say that. She knew, then, that some people were like every bag of potato chips: mostly air with a few chips. It’s important to be confident in our “skills.” It’s equally as important to be humble learners. We know that there is always somebody better, but I’m the best me, and I can learn every day and become a better me every day.
Which, of course, leads to number three on my list about Eric Clapton and Jeff Beck: They were genuinely excited to be together talking about a big passion in their lives. They are going to do some concerts together in the coming year. These concerts will be, in many ways, legendary. It will not be two egos colliding, though the result of that big bang would be amazing. It will be two artists working together to create beautiful music for themselves, but, most of all, for the world to enjoy!
Who’s on your “team?” Who do you work together with for the sake of the enjoyment of others? Of course, we all need and want affirmation, but can we let go of 99% of that to do what we do for somebody else? Beautiful music is many notes. The night sky is many stars. A beautiful painting is many colors. We are our best when we work together!
Skills + Humility + Sharing = WOW! This formula works for EVERYBODY!
Well, I’ve got to go, I think I heard the doorbell, it might be my “iPad” being delivered!

No comments:

Post a Comment