Friday, February 12, 2010

God loves the Olympics

Why would God love the Olympics? The one line answer: Because the diversity of God's creation comes together, competes together, and lives together in apparent unity, forgetting about all the dumb things that generally divide us and pit us against one another! Hey, I didn't promise or sign any document saying it would be a simple line!
Many of us watch the Olympics, not necessarily every moment, from the opening ceremonies to the closing ceremonies and everything in between, with great enjoyment. We don't generally care whether or not an athlete, or group of athletes, is a different color or ethnic group than we are. We can't, truthfully, or generally, tell which athletes are heterosexual, homosexual, or some other such category. If we can tell, they may have very different political or world views than we have, but we'll cheer anyway. And so on, but I think you probably get the picture.
I believe with everything I am that God loves every human being, every part of creation. That doesn't mean God loves everything we do, and it doesn't mean we know what God likes or doesn't like. I have family and friends of various religious, political, ethnic, sexual, etc. status, or whatever other word fits. I love them all. The only time I really get upset is when someone of a different situation than I'm in tells me that I'm less of a person than they are because I'm different. I, truthfully and wholeheartedly, apologize for any time I've ever put anybody in the position I just said I don't like to be in. And, even more importantly, I ask God, and you, to forgive me for those times.
You see, I also absolutely believe in, and want to live by, what Jesus called "the greatest commandment": to love God with all I am and to love everyone as I love myself. Jesus didn't make any of the distinctions we make when He said this. He didn't say "love your neighbor as youself, except for ..."
No matter how tough somebody is, there will always be somebody who is tougher. That's frightening.
No matter how loving someobody is, there will always be somebody who is more loving. That's pretty cool!
On with the Winter Olympics, may we get the courage to live in the spirit!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Greg. You've just enriched my appreciation for the Olympics in an interesting and uplifting way ...

    ReplyDelete